ZWO ASI294MC Pro - cooled Colour CMOS Camera for astrophotography
ASI cameras stand for very good workmanship and have modern CMOS sensors installed. This camera uses the state-of-the-art "back-illuminated" Sony IMX294CJK sensor.
Sony specifies a sensor diagonal of 21.63 mm. However, measurements by ZWO have shown a true diagonal of 23.2 mm. The 4.3 µm pixels of the ZWO ASI294MC make this camera an all-rounder with highest sensitivity for short exposure times.
The "single shot" color camera offers more comfort, compared with MONO cameras. Not everyone wants to follow through the laborious L-RGB technique for beautiful colored nebula or planetary images. The color cameras offer a possibility to get beautiful images without changing filters. However, good broadband nebula filters (see recommended accessories) reduce light pollution and increase contrast without being changed or colouring the image too much.Advantages and features of the ASI MC294MCPro color camera:
- USB 3.0 for a fast download - can also be used with USB 2.0
- DDR3 memory buffer to help improve data transfer reliability. Additionally, the use of a memory buffer minimizes amp-glow, which is caused by the slow transfer speeds when the camera is used with a USB 2.0 port.
- Powerful Peltier cooling up to 45 °C below environment.
- Powerful Peltier cooling up to 35 °C below ambient
- Sensitive CMOS sensor with 23.2 mm diagonal - 11.7 megapixels
- Good resolution through 4.63 µm pixels
- Comes with AR protection window - full transmission also in IR. If infrared should be blocked, an IR-cut filter is necessary.
- Distance from T2 connection thread (female) to camera sensor: 17.5 mm
- Very high sensitivity - QE more than 75% - ideal astronomy camera for dim objects
- 14bit ADC
- HCG mode - if gain is higher than 120 (12 dB), read noise is reduced below 2e- - result: low-noise images despite extremely high sensitivity.
- Full well capacity 63700e - even bright stars do not burn out anymore, you get a better signal-to-noise ratio.
Application ranges of the camera:
- Deep sky images (nebulae and galaxies): Due to the high sensitivity, nebulae and galaxies are captured after only a few seconds. By cooling down the camera up to 35 °C below ambient, the already low noise can be further reduced. By increasing gain (like the ISO setting of DSLR cameras), you can reduce exposure times below 30 seconds. Effects from seeing or inaccuracies of the drive are eliminated.
- Lunar and planetary images: extremely short exposure times (due to high sensitivity) freeze the seeing. Through the high resolution of the sensor, many details can be reproduced even at shorter focal length. Video astronomy is also possible.
Optimal support by APM Telescopes before and after purchase:
We work with the cameras ourselves and can offer you optimal advice. Which camera matches your telescope, how do you achieve optimal adaption ...
APM is one of the biggest ZWO dealers. Due to our contacts, we offer best possible service also after purchase.Practical tip:
Integration of 2" filters, 360° rotation and quick coupling
The camera is often used on correctors that do not have a filter thread. In addition, the filters should always be used as close as possible to the camera. Here we offer you a solution that can do much more.
The adaptation is very simple, the 21 mm T2 extension is replaced by:
- 2" filter holder directly in front of the camera
- 360° rotation for the right choice of the image section
- Quick release - you can remove the camera from the remote ear at any time, without screws and thus entangling the cables
- 1x TSROTT2-T2 and 2x T2AbstimmA1
One tuning ring comes to the camera side, one tuning ring comes to the telescope side of the rotator. Then screw on the M42-M48 adapter with 16.5 mm length and you are in the right distance with the camera.Downloads, DriversZW Optical supplies software and drivers online for free download:Frequently Asked Questions about ZWO Cameras:The FAQ section is constantly updated by ZWO, here you can find the answers to many questions.
ZWO Users ForumManuals for ZWO products:The manuals page is constantly updated by ZWO, here you can find user guides for ZWO products.
How to clean my ZWO camera:
The manufacturer provides a manual that covers how to clean an ASI camera and regenerate the desiccant tablets: see below.
Scope of Delivery:
- ASI camera cooled
- T2 extension (21 mm long)
- M48-T2 extension adapter (16.5 mm long, T2 male and M48 female)
- Adapter to 1.25" with filter thread and cap
- Flat adapter T2 to 1.25"
- M42-M48 thread adapter
- 2 distance rings
- Short user guide
- USB3.0 cable, long
- 2 USB2.0 cable, short
- Camera case
|Connection to telescope||2" / 1,25" / M42x0,75|
|Connections||USB3.0 / USB 2.0|
|Maximum exposure length||32 µs to infinity|
|Pixel size||4.63 x 4.63 µm|
|Sensor size||4/3" diagonal (23.1mm)|
|Power Supply||12V, 3A|
|Cooling||TEC, -35C below ambient|
|Sensor type||4/3" CMOS Sony IMX294CJK - back illuminated|